How’s your gym confidence? Low? Give this blog a read!
When I speak with my online clients their biggest when starting is they fear being judged when working out. If this is you then take a read below to see my best advice to combat this.
If you struggle with self-confidence, or you don’t love how you look, you might assume that everybody around you will be judging you the whole time and you don’t want to subject yourself to this torture.
In fact, you might think that somehow you need to get in shape before even setting foot in a gym. Wrong! You go to the gym to get in shape. And I can help you get there.
If you are going to start using a gym, here are some truths you should know before starting.
- Everybody around you is just as self-conscious as you are. Yes, that guy with rippling muscles. Or that toned, fit woman on the stair master. They aren’t focused on you, because they’re too busy living inside their own head wondering if everybody is thinking about them.
- Everybody starts somewhere. You don’t look good so that you can then go to the gym. You go to the gym to get stronger, more confident, and then feel more body confident.
- MOST will applaud you for trying. When I see somebody who is severely overweight at the gym, it makes me happy. They’re trying to better themselves and become healthier! That’s amazing. This is the mentality 90% of the people will have.
- The majority will be too self-focused to even notice you. These are the people lifting up their shirt in the mirror to check their abs, doing bicep curls in the squat rack, or making sure they take photos to post on Instagram to prove they did in fact go to the gym.
- A RARE few will judge. Though, they’re not just judging you, I promise. They’re judging EVERYBODY around you, because they can’t help but compare themselves to others and these are the worst kind of humans. They forget that they were once a novice and think the sun shines out of their bottoms. This is no different than in real life. ignore these people.
Now we’ve got that out of the way this is what I want you to do and allow it to become your new gym mentality.
- Accept that some people are idiots. They are irrelevant. Most people are indifferent or focused on themselves. Everybody else will applaud you for trying and being there.
- Make an epic Spotify playlist that takes your mind away from these fears and helps you get into ‘your zone’. Music for me is my greatest tool when training. It allows me to switch off from distractions and just focus on the job in hand.
- Wear clothes that you feel comfortable in. You don’t have to be in a skimpy 2 piece Lululemon outfit or have the latest gym shark vest. Work out in what you feel good in. This could be joggers and a large hoody. You’re there to improve yourself not look good. It might not be a look that makes the grid on your Instagram but if it allows you to concentrate on your workout it’s a winner from me.
This blog is aimed at helping those that are fearful of getting started. If you are one of these people then please reach out and I’d be more then happy to discuss further and help you get started on creating the best version of you!
Help and Advice
If you’re looking for any advice on the above blog or are looking for guidance and motivation through online coaching please drop Aimee an email on email@example.com to find out more information on how we can help you. Just like we’re helping hundred’s of other individuals become a fitter, healthier version of themselves. Alternatively go to this link to set up a consultation call.