HOW TO BUILD LOWER BODY STRENGTH
Want to get a stronger lower body? For me having a strong lower body is beneficial to so many facets of life. not just being great in the squat rack or leg press. You use your lower body to do so much: Walk, run, climb up stairs & pick things up off the floor. The list could go on. But if you’re looking to increase lower body strength then I’m giving you a free example of one of my current lower body plans that I actually do myself.
First and foremost I am no longer neglecting my mobility so before training I will spend up to 25 minutes working on my mobility specifically focussing on my knee’s, hips & thoracic spine. A few example of mobility drills I use are below. I spend 1 minute on each drill.
- ‘The world’s greatest stretch’ I’ve provided a link because this is my ultimate stretch. I spend 1 minute on each side. https://www.today.com/health/how-perform-world-s-greatest-stretch-today-t225495
- Thread the needle – 1 minute each side
- Squat hold – I don’t concentrate as much on my back shape on this as I’m concentrating on opening up my hips and ankles. Sit in a deep squat and hold for 1 -2 minutes. You can use a DB to act as a counter weight if you don’t have the mobility.
- Cat/ Cow
- Wall Glute stretch – 1 minute each side
- Overhead squats with barbell. If barbell is too heavy you can use a stick.
- Thoracic reaches using foam roller – Perform 12 reps
- Bird dogs
- Half kneeling hip rocks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjYn8EchtPc
After performing my mobility and then will go into the lifting section of my workout.
2 warm up sets of squats using 40-60% of my 1 rep max. I complete between 3 and 10 reps depending on how I’m feeling.
1a) 4 sets x 6 reps Barbell Squat @ 80% of my 1RM
1b) Box jumps 4 sets 5 reps
Rest for 120 seconds after you’ve completed both exercises back to back.
2a) Romanian deadlift (Stiff leg) 3 sets x 8 reps (On the downward pass of the lift aim for it to take 4 seconds and then 1 second on the upward phase)
2b) Banded pallof press 3 sets x 20 reps
3a) Bulgarian split squats 3 sets x 8 reps
3b) Swiss ball hamstring curls 3 sets x 10 reps
4a) Bodyweight deficit step ups 3 sets x 10 reps
4b) Single arm Farmers walk 3 sets 45 seconds each arm
Depending on the day and my training load for the week I may add a conditioning finisher an example of one of the sessions I use is: Rower – Row 500 meters at sub 1:45/ 500m rest for 1 minute. Repeat 8 rounds.
Help & Advice
If you are struggling with achieving your goals and feel you need help then go ahead and drop me an email today on Aimeevictorialong@icloud.com to find out more information on how we can help you. Just like we’re helping hundred’s of other individuals become a fitter, healthier version of themselves. Alternatively go to this link to set up a consultation call.